How to Connect Your iPhone to Your HDTV!
Smart phones are the Swiss Army knives of the 21st century. With one tiny device, you can carry everything from your movie collection to your family photographs with you wherever you go. Unfortunately, the very thing that makes it so convenient is also one of the iPhone’s biggest limitations; you can’t easily display a photos or videos to a crowd without a bigger screen. Luckily, there’s a way to link your phone to a TV, and once you’ve done that, you can stream all of your media to it in glorious HD.
Method 1: Use an HDMI Cable or Composite Cables
In order to make an HDMI cable work, you’ll need to purchase an adapter for your iPhone. You can find the product you need on the Apple store. Once you’ve got that, here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Connect the adapter to the 30-pin iPod connector on your phone.
- Plug the HDMI cable into the adapter, then connect the other end to an open HDMI port on your television.
- For newer iPhone models, that should be it. You’ll see an exact mirror of what’s on your iPhone’s screen. If you’re using an iPhone 4, pictures and other media can still be streamed to the television, but you’ll need to open them in the appropriate app first.
The process isn’t much different if you’re going to use composite cables, you’ll just need a different adapter. Everything else goes exactly the same, you just won’t get a mirrored display regardless of which model of the iPhone you’re using.
Method 2: Wireless Streaming
Many modern televisions come with built-in wireless networking capabilities. If you’re fortunate enough to own one, all you’ll need is a DNLA app so that you can use your iPhone as a media server.
If that is not the case, you’ll need to hook a device into your television that’s capable of streaming content from your wireless network. Apple has developed its own tech that it calls AirPlay, and the way to access this functionality is through the Apple TV. Once you’ve got that set up, here is what you’ll need to do:
- Check your iPhone and your other AirPlay capable devices to make sure they’re all on the same wireless network.
- Once you know that every device is on the same page, double tap the home icon on your iPhone. Scroll the options to the right until you’ve reached the AirPlay settings.
- Tap the AirPlay icon to get a list of compatible devices on your network.
- Choose the device you want to stream to. The icons next to device will tell you what kind of content you can stream. A television icon indicates that you can stream video, images and audio, whereas a speaker icon indicates you can only stream audio.
- When you’ve decided what kind of content you want to stream, open the appropriate app and it should play on your television.
Learning how to stream media might seem intimidating at first, but Apple makes it easy to use your content where, when and how you choose. Regardless of your setup, there’s a streaming solution that will work for you.